Working Out with Music
Workout Playlists are a necessity in my opinion, right up there with my bottle of water.
Working out can be hard.
Working out should be hard.
When you’re pushing yourself to do something better, increasing any kind of skill, there are “growing pains”. That’s the point, right? That’s how you get better.
Working out is just pushing yourself as hard as you can without hurting yourself for a consistent period of time until your body catches up–until the workouts are no longer difficult. The stronger you get, the easier the workouts will be.
But when you’re first starting out, those “growing pains” from working muscles left unused for such a long time… it can drown out everything else. These days, when I try to workout for the day, after 9 months of such a sedentary (pregnant) lifestyle, there’s an internal voice saying “it’s too hard” “it hurts too much” “I’m too tired” and I really feel like giving up.
But I know I can’t.
I can’t give up because although stopping might be what I “want” in the moment, I know it isn’t what I really want.
Meaning, it isn’t going to lead me to what a want in the long run.
Do you know what you aim for when it comes to fitness? Do you think about your end goal when you’re running on that treadmill?
Envision your ultimate goal when it comes to fitness and health, and hold onto that thought as you’re pounding the pavement for the millionth time. Keep it in the back of your mind as you’re doing that 1000th squat. Thinking of your end goal as you’re working so hard can motivate you to keep going, no matter how difficult it gets.
Another way to get through workouts without being too much “in your head” is to focus on other things. For example–MUSIC. Music can always get me out of my head during a hard workout. When I put my headphones in, take my glasses off, and turn up the tunes, it blocks everything else out. All I care about is pushing myself to do my best, whatever that may be at the time. The better the music, the harder I can go and the stronger I feel.
Just like playing with your emotions in a movie, music can pump you up for a long, demanding workout.
To help my fellow mamas, fitness newbies, or any ladies looking for a nice collection of songs to workout to…
Enjoy Kandy Apple Mama’s Favorite Workout Playlist
- Castle ~ Halsey
- Close (feat. Tove Lo) ~ Nick Jonas
- Make Me Proud (feat. Nicki Minaj) ~ Drake
- Magnets (feat. Lorde) ~ Disclosure
- Closer ~ Nine Inch Nails
- Word$ (feat. Zebra Katz) [Illuminati AMS Remix] ~ Kito & Reija Lee
- I Don’t Mind (feat. Juicy J) ~ Usher
- Back Up (feat. Big Sean) ~ DeJ Loaf
- Talking Body ~ Tove Lo
- Beating Heart ~ Ellie Goulding
- Roman Holiday ~ Halsey
- Everything is Alright ~ Motion City Soundtrack
- Good for You (feat. A$AP Rocky) ~ Selena Gomez
- Give You Back Life (Swifty Song) ~ Ephixa
- Wolf Like Me ~ Tv on the Radio
- Birthday Cake ~ Rihanna
- Work (feat. Drake) ~ Rihanna
- I Took a Pill in Ibiza (Seeb Remix) ~ Mike Posner
- The Nights ~ Avicii
- How to be a Heartbreaker ~ Marina and the Diamonds
- Monument ~ Mutemath
- Say it ~ Tory Lanez
- One Minute ~ Krewella
- On My Mind ~ Ellie Goulding
- She Wolf ~ Shakira
- Who Dat Girl (feat. Akon) ~ Flo Rida
- She’s So Mean ~ Matchbox Twenty
- Woman ~ Wolfmother
- Gold ~ Kiiara
- You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid ~ The Offspring
- The Hardest Mistakes (Popkong Mix) [feat. Cassadee Pope] ~ I See Stars
- Young and Beautiful ~ Lana Del Rey
- America’s Son ~ Air Review
- Hero ~ Family of the Year
- Aquainted ~ The Weekend
You probably won’t go through all of these songs in a single workout (that’d be a really long one). But it should last you a few days left on shuffle.
Are there any songs not on this list that you consider “must-haves” during your workouts?
Let me know in the comments!
Until next time,
Join the KAM Fam!
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter packed full with members-only goodies!
Learn the little truths and big wins behind our blogging adventure, and stay up-to-date on giveaways, contests, and updates from KAM (and our partners)!
Next - check your email! (And your spam folder!)